August Book Reviews

Hello friends! So I'm trying out a new style of book review for my blog- basically instead of doing one long book review for each book I thought I could just sum up all the books I read at the end of each month. Although I'm an avid reader and read all the time, I have a confession to make- I'm a much slower reader than some of you other book bloggers! Maybe I read quickly technically, but when it comes to literature I like to spend time looking back on details and flipping through pages to catch threads. So I take my time. But that said, I apologize if there's not like twenty books on here per month like some of you manage- I don't know how you do it. But let me know how you like this style in the comments, and comment your thoughts on any you've read.

p.s. sorry it's a tad late I was on vacation this weekend and couldn't post

Loving vs. Virginia by Patricia Hruby Powell; Illustrated by Shadra Strickland
5/5 Stars


This poem/graphic novel/ documentary novel was painfully beautiful and dealt delicately and simply with complex matters like civil rights and love. I almost cried like three times, which is a lot for someone who never cries during books. The poem was so artistically done, and kept the story open to reader interpretation and didn't try to fill in historical gaps that could only be truly known if you were there, instead leaving the reader to enjoy and imagine what life was like for this couple. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzergald
4/5 Stars


This is a classic, which I missed out on reading in English last year, so I had to pick it up this summer. The language in this is A M A Z I N G. If you're a sucker for run on sentences and loads of description like I am, then you simply have to pick this one up. The reason it only made four out of five stars is probably because of the ending- I wish it had had a more resounding, closing statement. English teachers might argue with me but I felt that this ending didn't finish as strongly as it could've, and that it could've left a more lasting impact on the reader. Other than that the story was golden and gave a lot of commentary on the glitz of the East in the 20s and popularity, as well as themes about love and marriage. Overall it was an excellent read, I highly recommend picking it up if you haven't already.

Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos
4/5 Stars



This book was one of the better books I've read that dealt with depression and anxiety. It covered the topics fairly and (at least as far as my experience goes) accurately, as well as lightening the mood with some respectful but genuinely funny humor. The style it was unique and whimsical and poetry-infused, which I love. It was a quick read but a good one, and if definitely made you think. My only complaint was Beth, she felt fake and didn't live up to what I hoped she would. Other than that it was an excellent read, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a lighthearted but simultaneously real book about anxiety and depression.

Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge
5/5 Stars



All I have to say about this book is that it is literally about me ok I've never read a more relatable book in my life. 5/5 no brainer, thank you Laura Lee Gulledge for understanding exactly what it's like to be me wow.

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
5/5 Stars



This book was phenomenal. It artfully and respectfully portrayed what it's like to have schizophrenia as a teenager. The portrayal of his conscious and his mind was so well written and painted an eloquent and real picture, and really helped the reader to truly understand the experience in a way that most books dealing with schizophrenia fail to do. Also, the writerly skill displayed in this book was evident and made the book that much more engaging and helped it to read smoothly and gracefully. Although it may feel that it starts out a little slow, it is definitely worth the read, as you will certainly not regret reading this book the whole way through and then taking time to ruminate on it.

5 comments :

  1. The Great Gatsby! That novel is literally so good; pure quality. Honestly, wish Fitz was alive to be able to question the novel/his choices. Also, Challanger deep sounds really interesting so I must read it this autumn!

    Awesome post!

    Martin
    www.martinsvirtualblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I so agree- I wish he was still around to discuss the novel with. Yes-- let me know your opinions on it when you do!

      Delete
  2. ooh these all sound interesting. Challenger Deep has been on my to-read on goodreads for a while, knowing you rated it so high is definitely bumping it up in reading priority ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, wrap up style review posts are great! and jeez managing to read this many books in one month is an achievement for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Yes bump it on up there- it deserves to be read. I'm glad you enjoyed this post-- haha no I'm a pretty slow reader compared to some other book bloggers out there, it helps that two of these are graphic novels :)

      Delete