Fangirl Book Review

SUMMARY: Cather and Wren used to be inseparable. Now, faced with college, they seem to be going in completely different directions. Cath was perfectly happy with the way things were, and is reluctant to start a new life that is without the comforts of her old world, especially her sister. Wren, on the other hand, can't wait to get out of the house- and into the party scene. Wren and her new roommate Courtney hit as many frat houses as they can while Cath quietly writes fan fiction and deals with her tough but secretly compassionate roommate. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell is a realistic fiction novel about one quiet girl struggling to find her voice in the world, even if her voice is lodged deep in fan fiction.

REVIEW:
I loved this book a lot. To be honest, it made me want to hurry up and get to college so I could take fiction writing. This book essentially sealed the deal for me that I wanted to be a writer. If you are thinking of going into a writing career, read this book.

As for the characters, I loved Cath. I found her relatable, funny, and realistic. She was sassy and witty and I felt that I could connect well with her throughout the book. Also, her introversion and nervousness was easy to understand, and gives a good perspective on what it can feel like in new situations. Levi was also funny, and a nice clash, the extroversion for her introversion. I have to say, I was able to relate a lot more to Cath, but I think that could be different depending on the reader. Wren broke my heart, but I also understood what it was like for Cath to go through that. Although I don't personally fully understand the reasons for Wren's break-away, the book did a good job of demonstrating how she shrugged off all her old titles, mainly for the worse. Cath's roommate, Reagan, was probably one of my favorite characters in the book. She was so fun to read, and her toughness but good heart made her such a dynamic character.

I feel like this book did really really well portraying real life. The fact that Cath was nervous in social situations, that the boy that she thought might like her just used her for her smarts, that even though she was in college she'd never really been in a serious relationship (I'm not counting Abel they didn't really even like each other) and that she had healthy boundaries set for herself differentiated this book from other YA novels. I also loved the representation of fandoms, which is truly a much bigger part of lots of teen's lives than authors seem to realize, and should be acknowledged more in realistic fiction. This book also gave me a new idea of fan fiction. I had never really been personally interested in fanfic, and even though I don't think I'll ever be as into it as Cath was, it gave me a better understanding about what it's all about.

Another good part of this book was Cath's relationship with her mother and father. She was extremely caring and protective of her father, whereas she wanted nothing to do with her mother. I thought that Cath' experience dealing with these complicated emotions and trying to form an opinion about her mother was very interesting and added a lot to the story.

The only thing I didn't really like were the Simon Snow snippets in the middle of the book. Although it helped me understand the storyline, I found them a little annoying. I'm going to read Carry On though, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more with the entire story.

In total, this book was a fun read. It was such a cute but dynamic story, and I highly recommend it.


What did you think of Fangirl? Did you like it? What character do you most relate to? Comment below!

4 comments :

  1. I've been wondering whether or not to pick this up - the reason for my hesitance is that this seems like a typically-plotted (if well-written) contemporary, and I usually don't go for contemporaries unless there's something REALLY unique about them. :/

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go for it-- it's pretty unique in my opinion, plus I think you'll like Cath a lot! Let me know if you read it and whether or not you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I really need to get around to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete