Sword of Summer Book Review

A book review for you guys- but also be sure to check out my Q&A-- comment on the post with any questions for me which I will answer soon! Thanks guys!

Summary: The Sword of Summer, by Rick Riordan, is an action adventure book based on Norse mythology. It follows sixteen year old Magnus Chase as he discovers he is a son of Frey, the Norse god of abundance, temperate weather, and equilibrium, and embarks on a quest to save everyone from an evil power that is rising. Unfortunately, nobody but his two friends, a dwarf and an elf, an a Valkyrie girl named Samirah believe him.

Review:
I have been a fan of Riordan's books since I first read The Lightning Thief, which was around fifth grade. My enthusiasm for his books skyrocketed when the Heroes of Olympus series came out. I have reread all the books several times (I've probably read Mark of Athena twenty times) and in addition did my best to memorize every character, plot twist, everything. In addition I read The Kane Chronicles which I also loved.

So when this new book about Magnus Chase came out, I went and bought it pretty quickly. But I knew there was not going to be any of the greek/roman gang that I loved, and it was unlikely our egyptian friends would show up. So it took me a while to pick up this book. I tried to convince myself I was over the series, this book wouldn't affect me, all these books are merely a fond memory and when I read it it would be like reliving the past or something.

Yeah I was wrong. I'm sorry but I'm still totally obsessed with these books.

So let's be honest with ourselves, every Rick Riordan book has the exact same plot line. Kid finds out he's related to gods has magical powers meets cool sidekick friends oh no imminent apocalypse only you can save it destined to be a hero embark on a quest YOU HAVE THREE DAYS LEFT yada yada yada.

Unfortunately for me, this plot line is totally effective in ensnaring me every single time. Thanks Uncle Rick.

Magnus himself is snarky, sassy, and everything you want in a main character. Riordan deploys his usual assortment of witty jokes throughout the novel which kept me laughing and looking around desperately for someone to share the humor with until I finally had to settle with my dogs (they were laughing on the inside I'm sure of it). I was also pleasantly surprised to find lots of easter eggs to the other series throughout the novel. There was a wisecrack about a pen sword (hahah Percy) and also a comment about how many times Jason passes out (so true).

On a similar note, the appearance of Annabeth was exciting for me, and it was thrilling to find out she was Magnus's cousin. All this has lead me to believe there may be a series with all the characters... aka my dream come true.

The gods in this book were represented alright I guess. I got what they were supposed to be, and they were pretty funny. I am not super attached to the mythology like I am the Greek and Roman and Egyptian, but I think I will be once the rest of the series comes out.

I enjoyed the characters in this book, Hearthstone probably being my favorite. Blitzen is hilarious, and reminds me a little of Coach Hedge. I feel they would get along if Blitzen made him some outrageous fashion. Samirah was great, although I felt like I didn't fully get to know her character as much as I had hoped. Although I hope that Magnus gets a love interest in the future (I have heard a rumor she may be related to Reyna - !! - my favorite PJHO character) I appreciated that this book was romance free on the most part. This is very refreshing to have in a YA book. I also am always happy about the large amount of diversity presented in all of Riordans's books. It is so great that all these differences are represented, and that they are all represented equally. I hope that he continues to place such an emphasis on diversity, it makes reading that much more interesting and fulfilling. And really, the world is a diverse place, so it only makes sense that novels placed in the world would be diverse as well.

Overall this book was a good read, especially if you have been enjoying Riordan's work for a long time. It simply never gets old in my opinion.


What did you think of The Sword of Summer? How did it compare with the rest of Riordan's work? Comment below!



SaveSave

8 comments :

  1. I haven't read The Sword of Summer yet, but I have read Rick's other books. I just haven't gotten around to reading it because my TBR list is huge. Also, have you read the Hidden Oracle yet? Great Post BTW! - Sarah🌙 http://blackpapermoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge TBR list- I feel you- mine gets bigger every day I feel like. I have the Hidden Oracle sitting in my bookshelf, brand new and unopened. I'm thinking I'm going to read it after I finish my current series, so that I can get up to speed with all the Riordan books by the end of the summer. Glad you liked this post!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking of trying out Rick Riordan! Do you have any recommendations of where I should start?

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS I HAVE RECCOMENDATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so exited you want to start this start it now just jump through your TBR this is honestly the best--

      anyways

      I suggest starting with The Lightning Thief and reading straight through all the way to Blood of Olympus. Then go back and read the Kane Chronicles and then the Magnus Chase Sword of Summer book (and the rest of the series if they are out) and then the Trials of Apollo. If you are a detail nerd like me feel free to cram in all the mini stories (because they are great too). This is how I recommend reading the books (and I've spent too much time thinking about this). I am super excited for you to read them you must tell me when you start! Thanks for the comment <3

      Delete
  3. great review <3 rick riordan's books were my childhood, ahhhh. the kane chronicles are probably my favorite :)

    evelyn clickman @ if these stars shall fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks evelyn! I also loved the Kane Chronicles :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, thanks for stopping by on my blog.
    My brother is nuts about everything Riordan reads. He's reading this book currently. And yeah, I think I'll read all the other books Riordan wrote. I'm blind about Norse mythologies, but I'll give it a try. Also, have you read the PJO complementary books? Like the Demigod Diaries, Demigod Files, PJO and the Greek Gods and so on. I like PJO, and I'm adding those on my TBR list, too.
    By the way, nice blog!

    http://awaveofvellichor.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, no problem! I also had no idea about anything in Norse mythology, but this book helped me learn a lot. And yes- I have read the Demigod Files, PJO and the Greek Gods, and the mini story with Carter and Percy. I want to read more if I ever get my hands on them. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like my blog :)

      Delete