Rising Authors Tag

Hello! Today I have a tag post (yay!!!). It has been a while since I've done a tag and I am super excited about this one. Thank you Noor from A Little Bit of Sunshine for posting about this tag- I am going to take her offer of anyone participating. Thank you! So, the rules are:

1) Write a post thanking the person who tagged you: include the tag, the 11 questions asked, your answers, and, in reply to the request for a small piece of prose or poetry, share a 150-word story.
2) At the end of the post, provide 11 new questions.
3) Request a brief 150-word story from the people you tagged.
4) Tag at least one person, and include a link to their blog.


1) Write on paper or on the computer?
I write on both to be honest. I do my brainstorming and research usually on paper, and I write poetry on paper almost always, but for my longer stories I prefer the computer.

2) On average, how many words do you write in one session?

Mmm.. I'm not sure. It really depends on the day and how well my words are flowing.

3) Fanfiction: yay or nay?

I don't really have a strong opinion about fanfic. I enjoy reading it every now and then, but only if it is for a book that I felt was incomplete or lacking, or just wasn't my favorite. I'm super nit-picky about details when I'm reading, so fanfic sometimes throws me off because it has new details. I don't know I'm just weird about knowing all the specifics. As for writing, I don't really ever write fanfic because I feel like I'm adding to an already finished story? I don't know I think it all ties back to my crazy detail obsession. But I have nothing against fan fiction or people who enjoy fanfiction- I think it is a great writing form and super cool- I often wish I could get more into it!

4) Have you ever done NaNoWriMo? If so, did you win, and did you like or dislike it?
I have not done it yet but I am doing it this year! I am really excited- I have heard lots of good stuff about it, and I'm already doing some preliminary research for my story!

5) Do you share your writing with your family/close friends?
I used to, but I sort of stopped after I realized every time I talked about a story I stopped writing it. Now I don't give any details about the story or even mention it much until I'm done with the first draft. It is really hard for me though, I constantly want to blab about my story to my good friend who's also a writer.

6) What are some of the most helpful pieces of writing advice you've heard?
One of the most helpful thing's I've ever read that has sort of become my writing mantra is this quote from Shannon Hale:

“I'm writing a first draft and reminding myself that I'm simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.”


This is so encouraging for me because I often feel like whatever I'm working on is terrible and want to just stop and throw it away, but this quote keeps me writing even when I think everything is garbage.

7) Do you write poetry?
YES!! I love poetry so much and write a ton- I often process events big and small that occur in my life through poetry, so my journal is full of it.

8) Describe 3 characters from stories that you've written.
So these are some characters from an old short story that I wrote that you can find under my library tab- it's called The Chosen One (cliche I know forgive me, it was a couple years ago).

Marya is a dark wizard. She is very pale with moonbeam hair that has a single streak of pure black. She keeps it braided down her back. Her chosen weapon is daggers and of course her staff. She is very powerful, and dabbles in dark magic that is mysterious and deadly. Even though she appears cold and emotionless, deep down she has a pure heart and wants to do the right thing. Her crescent moon tattoo identifies her as a dark wizard.

Kellin is a light wizard with dark skin and curly hair. He wears white breeches and vests, and fights with an elaborate sword and his staff. Unlike Marya, his magic is more straight forward and offensive- fireballs, forcefields and the like. He is more open, and is the only person who is able to get past Marya's walls and hear what she's really thinking. His eight pointed star tattoo identifies him as a light wizard.

Pierre is the Chosen One, and has come to take his place as a god. He is tall, surly, and wears over the top clothes. Annoying, stuck-up, and greedy, he drives Marya and Kellin crazy.

9) What called you to writing?
I don't know exactly, I have wanted to write as long as I can remember. I actually have stories I wrote back in first and second grade. I guess I've been wanting to write my whole life.

10) Do you like killing off your characters?
No! I'm such a softy I know but I love all my characters so much it really hurts me to kill them off. I postpone it as long as I can and then do it really gently. It's not a good strategy because then I have to go back and make it more intense.

11) Have you gotten published?
I wish. I will be someday!

And here is a snippet of my writing:


As soon as they reached the bank, Pierre quickly jumped off his horse and rushed toward the canoe.
“I shall ride in this. The Chosen One should not be wet, for fear of catching cold. The rest of you can take the horses.”
“I don’t think it will do you much good against the water.” Marya said with a bemused smile. “The gaping hole at the bottom won’t exactly keep you above the surface.
Pierre looked down at the canoe in dismay as he noticed the large gap in the wooden planks. He trudged back over to them and took his horse's reins.
“Well, you probably wouldn’t have made it across without me to guide you anyway.” he sniffed.
Kellin rolled his eyes and dismounted, gesturing for the others to follow suite. He led them to the edge of the bank, where he scanned the bed, looking for a safe place to cross.
“Here should be good.” he called back to them. “The water is choppy but there aren’t too many rocks. Just be careful not to be swept away by the current.”

The group nodded their understanding and Kellin pulled gently on the reins of his horse, leading it into the water. His boots sloshed and splashed as their soles hit the slippery mud, and his feet almost slid out from under him. Digging his heels into the loam he began walking, getting deeper and deeper into the water. The icy cold liquid caused him to shiver as it crept higher and higher, his breeches absorbing it until his legs were soaked. The rest of the party joined him in the water, cringing as the stream rose up to meet them. The horses plodded behind them, picking their way through the slippery stones and patches of mud.

So there's a tiny bit of my story The Chosen One. Feel free to read it- there's a link to it on my library page.

So now I'm supposed to tag people but, like Noor, I feel like everyone has already done this tag. So I'm just going to tag everyone!

As for my questions, I also am going to use the same questions as before, becauseI feel like those were good questions and fun to answer. So just use those ones if you decide to do this tag.

Ok, that about wraps it up! Tell me if you agree with my answers in the comments, and feel free to participate as well!

8 comments :

  1. This is such a fun tag, oh my goodness!! Loved reading this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh I love this tag! It was so fun reading your answers, and Marya + Kellin sound like pure gold. <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness you made my day!! I am so glad you like Marya and Kellin and enjoyed my answers! I love this tag as well :)

      Delete
  3. I love this!! You are such a good writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, I love tags like this! this was lovely to read, and I'm sure it was just as fun to write x

    - kalopcia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was indeed fun to write!

      Delete