Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

SUMMARY:

Eight year old Scout thinks Maycomb County Alabama is the best place in the world. Her life is good, relaxed summers spent with her brother Jem and friend Dill, the start of a new school year brings boredom but routine, and her father, a lawyer, Atticus Finch, takes good care of her. But when Atticus takes on a rape case involving a black man, people treat Scout differently. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is an historical fiction novel about racism, sexism, and other injustices told from the innocent perspective of an eight year old girl.

REVIEW:

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! Seriously, this is not only the best book I have read this year, it also goes on the top ten list of books I have ever read. If you have not read this book than you simply must- I don't understand how I lived this long without it. Anyways, let's get into the actual reviewing instead of me ranting about how awesome this awesome book is.

The plot of this story was incredibly complex. Each nuance, dialogue, and detail was pointing to something, foreshadowing, or elaborating. I absolutely love plot lines like this so I was thrilled. I actually read this book twice in a row, and I found myself picking up even more detail the second time. Another nice thing about this book is that you can read it over and over. I love books that are like comfort food, rainy day books, and I know that this is one of them. I have the feeling I will read this book many many more times in my life.

The writing style of this book was superb, Lee's voice is evident and whimsical throughout the novel.

A well thought out feature of this book was that it was written from the perspective of Scout, an eight year old girl. The innocence of Scout allows the complex themes to be presented with more clarity than if it had been written from an adult point of view. Also, her being a girl who doesn't necessarily want to wear petticoats opens the door for the topic of sexism at that time (pre feminist movement). Being so young and raised by such a man as Atticus, she has not yet absorbed society's views on how she should be. It is interesting and often funny to see her clash with them.

Atticus is one of the best characters I have ever read in my entire life. He is a great role model but still a genuine person, and his aura of calm and knowledge penetrates through the pages. Atticus's outlooks on life are exemplary. Also, his effect on his son Jem is interesting to witness, as Jem decides what kind of man he wants to be.

My last point is just how much this book contained. This book didn't only address racism or sexism. It explored every part of life in the South at that time, good and bad. From the appreciation of nature and the respect for church, to the rising of World War Two and the prominence of poverty, this book covered it all. I find that a very satisfactory way to write an historical fiction novel, as it allows you to paint a more wholistic picture and have the full view.

Overall I can't say enough how much I loved this book. If you have not read it, read it. That's really all I can say.


What did you think of this book? Comment below!

4 comments :

  1. I love this book too! I'm not use to the writing style, but this is still one of my favourite books :D

    x Nicole ᵔᴥᵔ | florrall.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUCH A GOOD BOOK! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I find the unique writing style really engaging since it's so different.

      Delete
  2. Good review of a classic that everyone should read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, everyone should read it!

      Delete