Glass Sword Book Review

SUMMARY
Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard is the fantasy sequel to Red Queen (read that review here). It follows Mare Barrow, a girl with red blood but incredible lightening powers unlike anything silvers possess, as she works with the Scarlet Guard to locate and rescue all newbloods and train them for what lies ahead, which can only be civil war. Mare tries to appear strong and like the leader that the newbloods think of her as, but on the inside she is truly a glass sword- sharp and deadly, but prone to shattering.

SPOILER ALERT

I thought that Glass Sword was an awesome sequel to Red Queen, and well worth the wait. The plot was quick and engaging, the characters were nice and complex, and it finished with a terrible terrible cliff hanger that I really can't even think about.

Although the book was overall an awesome read, I still have a few minor critiques. One was the dramatic sentences that appeared at least once a paragraph. Those are fun to read during a climax, or right before a character's breaking point, or as foreshadowing, but when you are constantly reading them they sort of loose their umph, and become annoying and silly sounding, in my opinion. And in Glass Sword they were everywhere, so it would've been nice to see a little less of those. But the truth is, they were really nicely stated, so they would've been super powerful if they were not so frequent.

Mare was as usual an awesome character. I love her presence and her epic lightning power and her constant inner turmoil. But she got a little bit confusing in this book. I had a hard time seeing clearly what her goal was, what was driving her, since she continually seemed to circle back on past reasoning and question things she had said. As for her little thing with Cal, it was also a little confusing, but fine. I didn't have anything I really hated or loved about it, it was just there. I think that I am still with Mare and miss Maven, which is amazing that they author can convey that missing all the way past the characters to the reader. I really thought Maven was good back in the first book, and something about the way he's constantly mentioned in a  longing way makes me think he's going to be coming back in more complex ways than just the villain.

The killing of Elara? I was happy, but it was a little anticlimactic. All that pursuing and drama with her and then she was just...dead. Shade's death really got me though, and I was very sad, both for Farley and Mare. I really liked Shade as a character, and he is death was a blow to the reader for sure.
*Also, plot prediction, I'm pretty sure Farley is pregnant!

I was also really sad that Kilorn and Mare sort of lost their connection towards the end of the book. I know that the author is trying to make the whole 'no friends, no trust' thing a prevalent theme, but it does a lot for a reader to have there be another character who the protagonist trusts, and I thought Kilorn would be that character. But then again, the lack of trust and constant doubting of alleged allies really does keep the reader on their toes, and forces you to question everything.

Overall, I loved this book. The ending nearly killed me, and I wanted nothing more than to read it once I had opened it. I highly recommend it, and I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!!


What did you think of Glass Sword? Did you enjoy it? What did you think of the ending? Comment below!



8 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. yeah- the author did an awesome job!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read it but I have read The Red Queen and can't wait to read this one.

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! It's definitely a great sequel!

      Delete
  3. Ooh! Cool! I haven't read it, but it sounds quite nice! (I LOVE to read!)
    -Lily from https://oodlesandbundlesblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty great. I also love to read ;)
      -Vivian

      Delete
  4. I HAVE BEEN HEARING SO MUCH ABOUT THIS SERIES LATELY. It seems like just the sort of thing I'd like - action-packed fantasy - and I must try it out! Your review makes it sound absolutely amazing :D

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- definitely check it out, it is a great series!
      -Vivian

      Delete