Let's Talk Words

Words. Words make up our conversations, our friendships, our thoughts, our learning, our life. Words mean a lot to me, I find freedom in them. Words are easily malleable, capable of building and destroying. Words are powerful. Words are one of the most easy and most difficult weapons to wield. Words are open to anyone.

Any yet, our society is so resistant to words. I notice, at school, the lack of appreciation for carefully crafted phrases. You're too smart, they say, you're practically a dictionary, why do you bother to learn this stuff? People prefer to read a small blurb of text than something lengthy, thought out, beautiful, that really means something.

It scares me. The next generation is forming and we are resistant. We avoid learning new words at all costs, online summaries will have to do because we couldn't bear to actually read something. We are loosing our power.

It's not important to have a good vocabulary, people say. I beg to differ. Let's talk about overused words.

A word that is used over and over begins to mean nothing. Think of the word awesome. Initially, the word awesome was this crazy big, BANG word, implying something that would prompt your mouth to fall open in awe and you might kneel or a tear might fall from your eyes because it was so worthy of your undivided, shocked, stunned, total attention. Now, awesome is used in an offhand way. "That photo is awesome! You're hair looks awesome!" I'm not saying this is wrong, because I do it too, the word awesome is fine to use offhand, that's how our society has chosen to use it. But it is a good way to show how the more a word is used, the less impact it makes.

So we need these unused words, rare words, to make impact. To get our point across. We want our words to be approachable, but at the same time attention grabbing. How can we use our words to connect with people? If you use an interesting word, a more finite word that really captures the sum of what you are trying to say, not only is it more exact, more precise, but it is also more engaging. You sound more professional, more intelligent, and you are. You understand the careful hand that should be used with such powerful words. You check your definitions.

And with a bigger a vocabulary, the less a word is used, since you have so many words that each fit perfectly into different scenarios, the rarer it becomes, until it only appears exactly where it was meant to be, it's piece fitting perfectly into the sentence. It's a beautiful thing really, that perfect word that captures the quintessence of a thought. And you have no need for overused, vague words because you always have the perfect word at the ready, that will make each sentence a symphony to the ears, each syllable conveying real meaning. I don't know about you, but I want to talk, I want to write, like that.

What about bad words? Can a word be inherently bad? This is a tough one. I for one avoid swearing, simply because I believe it builds nobody up, and I want to be a builder-upper. I think that these words though are like any negative word, they were made to imply something negative, just like the words bad or annoying or gross or any word like that. It is our society that has shaped them into something that is temptingly edgy and offensive. And then they get overused. I go to high school, I hear more bad words in a day than I heard my entire elementary school career. It's dirty. And I find it sad that these very powerful words have become so overused. I think that in the right situation these words have a place. I think this situation doesn't appear much, but sometimes it does, like maybe you are writing a story and something phenomenally bad and happens, I think your character could use a nice cuss word right about then, if you feel comfortable writing it. These words, if used sparingly, bring emphasis and a bit of a shock factor. But in our day and age they bring no shock or emphasis because of how common they are. Words shouldn't be demonized because of how people use them, it is people's job to speak responsibly. We don't need to use negatively connotated words unless they are appropriate, and I believe that throwing them around for the sake of being rebellious is not only extremely inappropriate and rude, but also cliche, overused, and immature. I for one would rather you said something intelligent than call someone something that powerful as a joke.

So that is my opinion on words. Keep in mind that it is only my opinion and I am in no way saying that this is for-sure-facts. Because I am not trying to judge anyone, or any words. I only wanted to share something that means a lot to me, something that has a place in my heart. I would love to hear your opinion on words if you feel like it. Do you agree with what I said? How do you feel about bad or overused words? Leave a comment below!

11 comments :

  1. I agree with you 110%!!! I loathe how much people just don't appreciate words anymore. They're just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it is really sad isn't it?

      Delete
  2. words. i love them. they don't always love me when i have to speak, but writing them comes easier.

    this post reminded me of a book called Out Of My Mind. have you ever read it? if not it's about a girl and how she sees words everywhere only she can't talk. it's a powerful book, much like your post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH YES THAT BOOK IS SUCH A GOOD BOOK!! I LOVE IT!! It really is such a powerful book :) Thanks for the comment!
      -Vivian

      Delete
  3. Words. I agree with you completely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an inspirational post! It reminded me to choose words carefully. I completely agree with everything you said! :-)

    darlinginspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a good reminder, for me as well. :)
      -Vivian

      Delete
  5. I wholeheartedly agree! A good vocabulary is important to have. Too few people put an emphasis on this. Words are an amazing gift. Just think of someone who's deaf in a hearing society and therefore has no words. Once introduced to a signing society, they're going to learn as many words as they can. Your post was very thought out and well written. It was a refreshing read. Thanks for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this lovely comment Wanda! I love reading your thoughts :)
      -Vivian

      Delete