Day 3-Christmas Note-Cards :)

On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Christmas time is not only a time of gift-exchanging, but also card giving! I find it so satisfying and gratifying to give someone a card that really tells them how much I love and appreciate them. I also really love making homemade cards. But if you're me, you can blow A LOT of money at the craft store buying all the fancy paper and trimmings and card-stock to make these cards. So this year my neighbor (and best friend) and I embarked on a quest - homemade cards without going to the craft store AT ALL. The fact that we started without any blank cards or card-stock shows your that we were either committed or crazy. But we found a solution! And I am happy to present to you Vivian from Day-Dreamer, Night-Thinker's 2015 Note-Card Card Designs!


I found that making cards out of note-cards was cheap, easy, and handy. The notecard is already nice and thick, so ink doesn't bleed and it doesn't curl when glued. Also, there are lines inside for writing, which is a plus. I came up with five different designs and made six of each, which gave me plenty of cards for friends, family, teachers, etc.


So now for each of the different designs and how I made them. I have to admit that I can't take all the credit for these designs, as Pinterest played a role in inspiring each one. But I assure you that all of them were made simpler in some way by me, keeping the original charm but twisting the materials used (because honestly, who keeps fancy gold glitter stars and stencils lying around their house? If you do, then I wish I lived at your house).

1. Snowflake Design
This one is easy to make (well really they all are). The only hard thing to find in the house would be this fancy little snowflake paper puncher we had - I was lucky to have gotten that for my birthday a couple years ago. We just used the puncher to make snowflakes out of two different types of blue construction paper, and then glued them on with a little blue bead for accent. A micron pen was used to write the noel. Pretty cute huh?


2. Button Ornaments
This one is SO CUTE!!! And super easy. All you need are buttons, glue, and a micron pen. It's pretty self explanatory, just glue the buttons at varying distances from the top and then draw in the string details. Write Merry Christmas in the corner. And you're done! 


3. Hanging Stars
For this one you're going to need a star stamp and two different colors of stamp pads (preferred yellow an orange but it's up to you) Draw the branch with a micron pen, and then use your fingerprint to stamp three ovals at varying distances from the branch. Use a star stamp in a different color to stamp over each of the fingerprints. Draw the strings to connect them to the branches, write Christmas Wishes, and that's it!


4. Strung Lights
Again, another stamp one. You need five different colors. Start by using your pinky to stamp five ovals, each a different color, along the top of the card. Use a micron pen to draw in the bulbs and chord, making it appear that the bulb is glowing by drawing it inside the fingerprint. Write Merry and Bright as the greeting. Also, I recommend washing your finger with a damp washcloth after each color, so that you get clear colors, not brownish colors.



5. Christmas Tree
Use some green, patterned paper (whatever you can find) to cut into small triangles that will fit on the note-card. Slice the triangle into four different pieces, and then reassemble on the note-card, gluing it so you have small spaces in between each piece. Use a micron pen to draw a square for the trunk and a star on top. Write Joy along the bottom, and you're done!





















Now that you've made all your cards, write a special note! Make sure it's meaningful, and tells them how much you appreciate them. That's what the real spirit of Christmas is, beyond all the fancy cards and trimmings, thankfulness and generosity, representing how Jesus gave himself as a baby as the best Christmas gift ever. Enjoy your cards, and comment how this tutorial worked out for you if you try it out!

5 comments :

  1. These are so cute and creative, I'm definitely going to make some of my own because you know, store bought cards are boring and I think something you created comes straight from your heart <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noor! And I totally agree! If you post yours let me know because I would love to see them!
      -Vivian

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love these, especially the green pattern Christmas tree, such a cute and creative idea, will definitely try it!

    Noire Beau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's awesome that you're going to try them. I'm so glad they inspired you!

      Delete