Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy Series Review

So I just finished the AMAZING Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, and thought it might be nice to do a little review. I read the whole series so I'll do it on all the books. So first, a summary:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a crazy, twisty, spiral, sic-fi comedy book that will leave you slightly in shock. It's very funny, and I really like the author's writing tone- it's very different. It's hard to summarize this book because there's so much that goes on in it, but I can at least say that it's a book about an average man named Arthur Dent who finds himself on a spaceship with a bunch of aliens and jumping through hyper-space, and all he wants is a nice cup of tea. Also, there's a lot of puzzling ideas in this book that will get your brain working.

SPOILER ALERT

Ok so my opinion on the book- I would give it a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale with ten being the best. I really enjoyed this book and was laughing quite a bit. The ending also was great- even thought some people might consider it disappointing. I thought it was quite proper for that book to end like that, and I liked how it seemed to come full circle. My favorite book from the series was Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I really like Milliway's and all the funny Zaphod stuff and the concepts in that book. The plot line started to get a bit hazy after that, but I think it was called for because of the author's writing style, and somehow the haziness managed to seem like quality haziness instead of laziness haziness. I liked Marvin a lot, no matter how annoying he might be at times. My one critique is the the characters in this book were hard to get attached to- they seemed a little static at times. I don't know if it was from a lack of description or what, but I just couldn't seem to grasp some of their concepts. I got Ford and Arthur and Zaphod ok, but Trillian managed to stump me throughout the entire series. I just couldn't figure her out. But it really didn't stop me from enjoying the book, the characters were fine for the storyline Adam's was writing. All in all I loved this whole series and would recommend it to anyone- it's a quick read. Just remember, 42!


What did you think of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Who was your favorite character? Drop a comment for me and let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment